Hosted By: Stephen Grey
Produced By: Wondery
Who Killed Daphne? is a podcast about the 2017 car bomb murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia, a Maltese investigative journalist who was known for her work exposing corruption and wrongdoing on the island. The podcast follows the investigation into her murder, and explores the complex web of political and financial corruption that may have led to her death.
Who Killed Daphne? Podcast Host:
Stephen Grey is a British investigative journalist and author best known for revealing details of the CIA’s program of ‘extraordinary rendition.’ He’s reported for over 10 years for the Reuters news agency on financial corruption: tracing the wealth of everyone from Greek bankers, Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump to people smugglers in the Mediterranean. He has also reported extensively from the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Praise from Listeners*:
- Well-researched and Informative: Grey does a great job of weaving together the details of the investigation with the larger context of political corruption in Malta.
- Attention to Detail: Stephen’s attention to detail is evident throughout the podcast, as he meticulously pieces together the evidence and presents it in a clear and coherent manner. Listeners appreciate the thoroughness of his analysis, which enhances their understanding of the case.
- Impact: The podcast has helped to raise awareness of the case of Daphne Caruana Galizia and the importance of press freedom.
- Ethical and Responsible Journalism: The podcast maintains a high standard of ethical journalism, ensuring that the victims and their families are treated with respect and sensitivity. This commitment to responsible reporting resonates with the audience and earns their trust.
Criticisms from Listeners*:
- Pacing and Length: A few listeners have expressed concerns about the pacing of the podcast, finding certain episodes to be too slow or drawn out. They feel that the investigation could have been presented more concisely, reducing the overall length of the series.
- Lack of Objectivity: Despite Stephen Grey G’s journalistic credentials, a subset of listeners has questioned the podcast’s objectivity. They argue that the host’s personal biases occasionally influence the narrative, potentially skewing the presentation of certain facts or perspectives.
* The True Crime Connection teams aims to keep this as an unbiased search database. In order to do this, we curate what people love the most and the least about a podcast by analysing ApplePodcast reviews.
To hear about our personal favorites/feedback, check out our Instagram or TikTok.
To submit a change to this listing, click here.
Want to leave your own review for fellow true crime fans to find when they hit this page? Add it in the comments below!