Hosted By: Carole Fisher
Produced By: iHeart Media
The Girlfriends is a true crime podcast that tells the story of a group of women who formed a club to put a murderous ex-boyfriend behind bars. The story shows the ways women unite to protect each other when systems of justice fail them.
The Girlfriends Podcast Host:
Carole Fisher is one of the Girlfriends and the host of the podcast. She is a passionate advocate for women and survivors of domestic violence. She serves as President for the National Partnership for Healthcare and Hospice Innovation (NPHI). Utilizing her previous experiences and deep familiarity with not-for-profit community-based hospice and palliative healthcare, she is charged with leading a wide range of activities for NPHI. With an emphasis on developing strategic partnerships, meaningful collaborations and transformational innovations, Ms. Fisher provides support for NPHI members leading complex organizations.
Praise from Listeners*:
- Empowerment: The Girlfriends is a story about women coming together to support each other and fight for justice. Listeners enjoyed the reminder of what women can achieve when they work together.
- Podcast Production: Listeners praise the production value of the podcast along with the interviews with the Girlfriends themselves, as well as other people who were involved in the case. The story is told in a way that is both informative and engaging.
- Shining a Light on Domestic Violence: Many listeners commented on the importance of speaking out against domestic violence and The podcast’s focus on doing so.
Criticisms from Listeners*:
- Potentially Triggering: The podcast does go into detail about the abuse that the Girlfriends experienced, and some listeners may find this difficult to listen to.
- Self-Focused: Some listeners believe that the podcasts focuses too much on the Girlfriends themselves and not enough on the impact that their actions had on the victims of their ex-boyfriend. Some listeners have felt that the podcast does not give enough voice to the victims and their families.
- Insufficient Exploration of the Justice System: Some listeners felt that the podcast does not go far enough in criticizing the system and its role in perpetuating domestic violence.
* The True Crime Connection teams aims to keep this as an unbiased search database. In order to do this, we curate what people love the most and the least about a podcast by analysing ApplePodcast reviews.
To hear about our personal favorites/feedback, check out our Instagram or TikTok.
To submit a change to this listing, click here.
Want to leave your own review for fellow true crime fans to find when they hit this page? Add it in the comments below!