Hosted By: Dorothy Marcic
MANslaughter tells intertwining stories about how one gunshot on a cold Wisconsin night in 1970 dramatically changed multiple lives. A bullet brutally tore through decorated law enforcement veteran LaVerne Stordock. Decades later, his niece, Dorothy Marcic, transformed herself into an amateur detective in a quest for truth and closure about that night.
MANslaughter Podcast Host:
Dorothy Marcic is a former college professor and journalist who turned amateur detective in order to investigate her uncle’s murder. She is the author of the book With One Shot, which is based on the podcast.
Praise from Listeners*:
- In-Depth Research: Listeners appreciate the level of research that goes into every episode as Marcic weavings together the personal story of her uncle’s murder with the larger story of the investigation.
- Balanced Approach: Unlike sensationalized true crime content, MANslaughter presents a balanced perspective, acknowledging the complexities and nuances of each case and the individuals involved.
- Engaging Host: Dorothy Marcic’s warm and inviting demeanor creates a comfortable atmosphere, making listeners feel like they are having a conversation with a knowledgeable friend.
- Thought-Provoking Themes: Beyond the surface-level crime narratives, MANslaughter prompts deeper reflections about the justice system, the role of women in families, and the lasting impact of trauma.
Criticisms from Listeners*:
- Lack of Objectivity: The podcast has also been criticized for its lack of objectivity. Some listeners have argued that Marcic is more interested in telling a story than in presenting a balanced and unbiased account of the events.
- Sensationalized Tone: The podcast has also been criticized for its sensationalized tone. Some listeners have argued that Marcic is more interested in creating a dramatic and suspenseful story than in presenting a factual and accurate account of the events.
- Repetitive Format: Some listeners have found the podcast to be repetitive, as Marcic often revisits the same information over and over again.
* The True Crime Connection teams aims to keep this as an unbiased search database. In order to do this, we curate what people love the most and the least about a podcast by analysing ApplePodcast reviews.
To hear about our personal favorites/feedback, check out our Instagram or TikTok.
To submit a change to this listing, click here.
Want to leave your own review for fellow true crime fans to find when they hit this page? Add it in the comments below!