Hosted By: Josh Bloch
Produced By: USG Audio
The Lost Kids is a true crime podcast that investigates the missing person case of Daniel Yuen, a teenager who disappeared from a controversial “troubled teen” program in 2009. The host, Josh Bloch also uncovers the dark and twisted business of the “troubled teen” industry, and its ties to one of America’s most dangerous cults.
The Lost Kids Podcast Host:
Josh Bloch is an award-winning journalist who has covered crime and culture for over a decade. He is the host of the hit podcast Uncover: Escaping NXIVM, which tells the story of a group of women who escaped from the infamous cult.
Bloch is known for his fair and balanced reporting, and his ability to connect with his subjects on a deep level. He is also a passionate advocate for victims of crime and abuse.
Praise from Listeners*:
- Impactful Interviews: Bloch’s interviews with Daniel Yuen’s family and friends are incredibly moving and insightful for listeners. He takes the time to understand their pain and loss, and he gives them a platform to share their stories.
- Strong Reporting: Bloch exposes the abusive practices that are common at these programs, and he shows how they have contributed to the deaths of many young people.
- Complexity: Bloch does an excellent job of explaining the complex history of the “troubled teen” industry and its ties to the cult movement. He also shows how these programs have evolved over time, and how they continue to operate today.
Criticisms from Listeners*:
- Potentially Triggering: It can be triggering for survivors of institutional abuse. The podcast goes into detail about many forms of abuse, including physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. This can be difficult for survivors to hear, even if they are not explicitly mentioned.
- Problem Focused vs. Solution Focused: Some listeners believe that the podcast does not offer enough solutions. The podcast does not provide much information about what can be done to prevent institutional abuse or to help survivors heal.
* The True Crime Connection teams aims to keep this as an unbiased search database. In order to do this, we curate what people love the most and the least about a podcast by analysing ApplePodcast reviews.
To hear about our personal favorites/feedback, check out our Instagram or TikTok.
To submit a change to this listing, click here.
Want to leave your own review for fellow true crime fans to find when they hit this page? Add it in the comments below!