Hosted By: Madeleine Baran
Produced By: APM Reports
In the Dark is a highly acclaimed investigative journalism podcast hosted by Madeleine Baran. The podcast delves into criminal justice issues and examines cases that raise questions about the fairness and effectiveness of the American legal system.
Each season of In the Dark focuses on a different case, providing an in-depth exploration of the facts, evidence, and flaws in the criminal justice system surrounding the particular case. The podcast employs meticulous research, interviews, and storytelling techniques to shed light on these cases, often uncovering new information and challenging conventional narratives.
Unlike most serialized true crime podcasts, In the Dark examines justice over the crime itself.
Unsolved Murders Podcast Host:
Madeleine Baran, the host and lead reporter of In the Dark, is an award-winning journalist known for her investigative prowess. She has a strong background in reporting on criminal justice issues and has received numerous accolades for her work. Baran’s dedication to uncovering the truth and her skill in presenting complex topics in a compelling and accessible manner make her a trusted and respected figure in the podcasting community.
Praise from Listeners*:
- Meticulous Investigation: The podcast is known for its thorough and meticulous investigative approach. Listeners appreciate the in-depth research and extensive fact-checking that goes into each season, ensuring accuracy and credibility.
- Humanizing the Subjects: The podcast humanizes the individuals involved in the cases it covers, offering a more nuanced and empathetic understanding of their experiences. Listeners appreciate how In the Dark brings a human element to the stories, allowing them to connect with the people impacted by the criminal justice system.
- Uncovering New Information: One of the strengths of the podcast is its ability to uncover new evidence and information. By conducting thorough investigations, In the Dark often reveals previously unknown facts about the cases it examines, offering fresh insights and challenging existing assumptions.
- Impactful Social Commentary: The podcast goes beyond the specific cases it covers, providing broader social and political commentary. Listeners appreciate how In the Dark raises awareness about systemic issues within the criminal justice system and sparks conversations about the need for change and reform.
Criticisms from Listeners*:
- Slow Pacing: Some listeners have found the pacing of the podcast to be slow, particularly in certain seasons. The extensive research and detailed storytelling approach may result in episodes that feel drawn-out, leading to a loss of engagement for some individuals.
- Biased Presentation: While the podcast strives for investigative journalism, a few listeners have criticized the show for presenting a biased perspective. They argue that certain seasons or episodes may focus predominantly on one side of the story, potentially overlooking alternative viewpoints and hindering a balanced analysis.
- Lengthy Detours or Tangents: Occasionally, the podcast has been criticized for going on tangents or including lengthy detours that may not directly contribute to the main narrative. Some listeners feel that these diversions can be distracting or unnecessary, diverting attention from the core focus of the season.
* The True Crime Connection teams aims to keep this as an unbiased search database. In order to do this, we curate what people love the most and the least about a podcast by analysing ApplePodcast reviews.
To hear about our personal favorites/feedback, check out our Instagram or TikTok.
To submit a change to this listing, click here.
Want to leave your own review for fellow true crime fans to find when they hit this page? Add it in the comments below!