Hosted By: Kate Winkler Dawson & Paul Holes
Buried Bones dissects some of history’s most dramatic true crime cases from centuries ago. Using their individual expertise, journalist Kate Winkler Dawson and retired cold case investigator Paul Holes explore these very old cases through a 21st century lens.
Buried Bones Podcast Host:
Kate Winkler Dawson hosts the podcasts Tenfold More Wicked and Tenfold More Wicked Presents: Wicked Words. She is an acclaimed historical true crime author, documentary filmmaker and journalism professor.
Paul Holes spent more than 27 years working for the Sheriff and District Attorney’s Offices during his tenure in Contra Costa County, California. Specializing in cold case and serial predator crimes, Paul has extensive experience applying investigative, behavioral and forensic techniques in notable cases such as Zodiac, Golden State Killer, Laci Peterson and Jaycee Dugard.
Praise from Listeners*:
- In-Depth Research: The hosts’ dedication to thorough research shines through, unearthing long-forgotten details and presenting a comprehensive picture of each case.
- Host Chemistry: The genuine chemistry between Kate and Paul creates an engaging and comfortable atmosphere, making listeners feel like they’re part of a conversation with old friends.
- Expert Analysis: Paul Holes’ professional insights as a seasoned criminal investigator add a layer of credibility and expertise to the discussions, enriching the overall listening experience.
- Case Variety: Buried Bones covers a wide range of unsolved mysteries and cold cases, from historical crimes to contemporary enigmas, catering to a diverse audience’s interests.
Criticisms from Listeners*:
- Excessive Promotion: There have been a few comments about the excessive promotion of other projects, books, or events by the hosts during episodes, which can be distracting and take away from the main content.
- Lack of Consistency: Some critics have noted that the quality of episodes can vary, with a few being exceptionally strong and others not living up to the same standard. This inconsistency has been a point of concern for some fans.
- Repetitiveness: In a few instances, there have been comments about certain information or details being repeated across episodes, which might be off-putting for listeners who binge-listen to the entire series.
* The True Crime Connection teams aims to keep this as an unbiased search database. In order to do this, we curate what people love the most and the least about a podcast by analysing ApplePodcast reviews.
To hear about our personal favorites/feedback, check out our Instagram or TikTok.
To submit a change to this listing, click here.
Want to leave your own review for fellow true crime fans to find when they hit this page? Add it in the comments below!